Friday, June 7, 2013

APE IN A CAPE

maggamaggamagga: maggadraws: I got a poopton of art to art but...



maggamaggamagga:

maggadraws:

I got a poopton of art to art but I had to squeeze in a Katharsis sketch because I LOVE HER.  I'm literally not exaggerating when I say I've been waiting my entire life for Thai-American character and it makes me sooo happy she's all my favorite badassy, vigilante-y things! I mean, I love all of team Movement but there's nothing quite like finally, finally finding that character you've been wanting for 22+ years :') 

No, really, I've been waiting my entire life for a Thai-American character in fiction. I have consumed exactly one piece of Western media featuring a Thai-American person, and that was an autobiography (about a half-Thai, half-American man going back to Thailand to become a monk, so that was only somewhat fulfilling). 

What also makes me really happy is that she's a Thai character with personality characteristics not oft attributed to Thai women, i.e. her unabashed, loud aggressiveness. I know I've certainly felt kind of weird and out-of-place among my Thai relatives for being as outspoken and aggressive as I can be and even condemned because of how it plays into my kind of femininity. It's very hard to explain how really, really deeply happy it makes me that Kulap embodies a lot of things that I, as a Thai-American woman, was kinda not expected to take on and hold dear. I only know her a little, but a little representation goes a long way— and it doesn't feel like a bone tossed to me! This is a mainstream comics character whom thousands are reading and getting to know and fjdklasjfl;jidjfojawe it just makes me really, really happy :') We'll see how it plays out from here, and I gotta actually read the Knighfall arc in Batgirl 'cause apparently she was one of the big antags there, but for now I'm just walking on sunshine. 

I am delighted to have a character from that region in comics, and particularly, Katharsis is a favorite of mine because she reacts so strongly to everything. I love her, and she has some AWESOME stuff coming up.

AND I LOVE THIS SKETCH, AGAIN I SAY!

If I had an idea for a badass, female character, then what's the best way to present them. i in fact have in idea for identical twins who aren't convential in the slightest. How would i even begin that?

By writing it.

Seriously, no one else can do it for you. Good luck.

how many bananas can i shove up my butt?

That's more a question for your doctor.

You mentioned that DC should be focusing on building on successful female character driven comics, like batgirl and wonderwoman. Do you feel that women writers should be writing mostly female characters?

No, not at all.

It's two separate, but related, issues.

Asking just in case the Movement ever captures me: What flavors of fruit snacks does Vengeance Moth have to offer?

Mixed berry blast, obviously.

Not so much an ask me anything as it is a thank you. I'm Indian myself, and it's often frustrating to see Indian characters in comics whose costumes and codenames are always Indian or drawn from Indian mythology, even when their powers have nothing to do with it. With Tremor, you've created an Indian character whose codename isn't drawn from Indian myth, and her costume is neither a salwar kameez or anything. I really appreciate that she's just a hero who happens to be Indian! So, thank you!

Thank you!


I don't want to sideline previous Indian characters, everyone is someone's favorite.  But I am happy that Tremor makes you happy!

I saw in an earlier answer that DC has been spotlighting and showcasing women creators, artists, and editors. But has DC made good on their claim a year or so ago that they would bring in and hire more women? Are you still their only lady writer?

Well, they're doing a little better. But I had hoped for a lot more.

They have added Ann Nocenti and Christy Marx, and I believe there is a new female writer doing a Batman annual.

I am hoping for more, we need new voices as well. The female audience is growing, and we should be building on our successful female-lead comics, like Batwoman, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Birds of Prey, and Catwoman. I am proud that that's happening, that we have that many successful books with female leads.

I have always maintained that DC has a higher female readership. But we need to build on that a LOT more.

Gail out of curiosity what would be your reaction if Harley and Ivy becomes a couple?

"Oh, look, the sky is blue…"

Oh Ms. Simone!! I'm really really enjoying The Movement. It's so amazing seeing so much variety in a comic (YOU know what I mean). Plus I laughed so hard at Mister Trouncer that I had to interrupt my boyfriend's Marvel comic reading to show him that page. He was grouchy at me until he actually read it, and then he laughed too. <3

POOR MISTER TROUNCER!

maggadraws: I got a poopton of art to art but I had to squeeze...



maggadraws:

I got a poopton of art to art but I had to squeeze in a Katharsis sketch because I LOVE HER.  I'm literally not exaggerating when I say I've been waiting my entire life for Thai-American character and it makes me sooo happy she's all my favorite badassy, vigilante-y things! I mean, I love all of team Movement but there's nothing quite like finally, finally finding that character you've been wanting for 22+ years :') 

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! And I LOVE this sketch!

I was just curious, so I'll ask, who is one artist you haven't worked with that you'd like to work with? I just imagine you on some secret project working with Greg Capullo or Cliff Chiang. :D

I have a BUNCH. A bunch, way too many.

But it kills me that I've never really gotten to write a story for Amanda Conner. We've come close lots of times.

Never really happened, yet. BUT IT MUST.

Bill Corbett: Thrilling Adventure & Supernatural Suspense Hour's Earth Day Special

Bill Corbett: Thrilling Adventure & Supernatural Suspense Hour's Earth Day Special:

mcconville:

I was honored to be a part of The Thrilling Adventure & Supernatural Suspense Hour's Earth Day special back on April 22nd. It's now available for your ears! This thing is full of guest stars, and had some very impressive music by Sara Watkins, Sean Watkins, and Eban Schletter.

On…

Oooh. That sounds amazing.

Question and a clarification for you. When will The Movement (The 99%) encounter The Green Team (The 1%)? The gif set with Huey Lewis and Weird Al is based on as similar scene from American Psycho. I recommend it.

There are a couple subtle connections between the two books and we will learn more about them soon!

Something I've been curious about, with regards to unbenching certain ladies. (Not going to ask about a certain Batgirl Combo that I've been missing for going on 2 years now...) Using Mia as an example, would she have to be the same Mia, former child prostitute, protege to Green Arrow, HIV+ Hero, in order for it to count as an unbenching? Or could it be Mia Dearden, former child prostitute turned street protector, using a bow and arrow she found at a derelict sports store, and still count?

Well, for me, bringing the character back is an unbenching, as long as they have a semblance of their classic personalities. I don't think they have to carry their entire history with them into the reboot, that stuff can come with time. But it's nice to have the characters EXIST so that those things can happen!

What is Mouse's hat supposed to be? Is it like a pirate hat?

No, it's cloth, I think Vengeance Moth made it for him.

Mouse/Trouncer was my OTP! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!! Clearly fanfic is the only thing that will help me mourn.

I know, but sometimes life is hard and cruel and MISTER TROUNCER COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

functionalweaponry: Character Collages: The Movement "I don't...



functionalweaponry:

Character Collages: The Movement

"I don't know what it is. People just don't seem to like me."

-Mouse/Jayden, The Movement #2

NOW YOU ARE JUST MAKING ME MISS MISTER TROUNCER.

functionalweaponry: Character Collages: The Movement "Fruit...



functionalweaponry:

Character Collages: The Movement

"Fruit snack?"

- Vengeance Moth, The Movement #2

Hi, Ven!

Save a fruit snack for everyone!

functionalweaponry: Character Collages: The Movement "I find...



functionalweaponry:

Character Collages: The Movement

"I find myself in the company of sinners, just as you always prophesied."

- Burden/Christopher, The Movement #2

I can't get over how cool these collages are!

ealperin: Okay, now I'm just confused… What color is her...









ealperin:

Okay, now I'm just confused…

What color is her hair?

Black with purple streaks, or just plain purple, with bright purple streaks on it?

Black with purple streaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment